Below is information on companies marketing to local Pennsylvanians received at your BBB. Information is based on our research as of December 1, 2010. Click on their name for an updated BBB report. Please take into consideration the importance of the practice and the total performance of the company. To access over four million companies nationwide, visit www.bbb.org.
1. People’s Life Styles, Inc – work from home solicitations
This company has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB due to unanswered and unresolved complaints. Our file shows the company has received an unusually large number of complaints in our three year reporting period which involved customer’s difficulty in obtaining a refund.
We have learned that the firm is offering a list of companies for work at home opportunities, and the consumer must then contact these firms to see if there is any employment available. In January 2009, a Cease and Desist Order No. CD-4882, P.S. Docket No. FR 08-61 was issued against People's Lifestyles by the U.S. Postal Service to prevent them from falsely representing employment.
2. Residential Relief Foundation, LLC – Foreclosure Rescue offers
Since June 2009, the BBB has closed 62 complaints. Mailings representing missed or delinquent mortgage payments have been reported by consumers as a lure to utilize the company’s services. Others have reported paying $995 for a kit of information that can be obtained for free elsewhere.
The Federal Trade Commission announced on November 19, 2010 that a federal court had shut-down the company's operations and seized its assets, ending what it alleges were deceptive practices designed to mock government mortgage assistance programs.
3. Mortgage Foreclosure Rescue/Debt Assistance – Many families are struggling in the current economy and hucksters are offering to help them save their house from foreclosure or help them get out of credit card debt. Unfortunately, victims are paying hundreds of dollars up front for the assistance they desperately need but ultimately never receive.
4. Car Safe – extended auto service contract -Since May 2008, the BBB has received a pattern of 125 complaints alleging that the firm's solicitations and advertisements are misleading, poor customer service, failure to cover needed repairs, difficulty canceling a policy and obtaining a refund. Many consumers were unaware they were not actually purchasing auto warranties until they received an auto additive in the mail. The company sold the products as auto additives to avoid Missouri's service contract laws, which provide some minimal protection for consumers. Consumers did not realize the limited value of the products they were purchasing. A lawsuit by the Missouri Attorney General is pending.
5. TraceMyID.com - Affinion Group, Inc. Advertising in local newspaper
Although the company resolved most of their nearly 4,200 complants, they generat a pattern. BBB suggests that if you are considering membership in a buying/service club, first compare the prices and services of the club to other such services. Consider the amount of merchandise you would have to buy at the club's discounted prices to make up for the cost of the membership. Understand the policies of the organization with regard to the following: how you order services, methods of payment, finance charges, delivery and service charges, refunds and exchanges and warranty info.
6. The Brands Group – offering gift cards for gas; alleging bait and switch
There may be a ‘sign up fee’ associated with offers for discount gift cards or vouchers, consumers should check on the charges and how to get a refund if desired in advance of opting in. There may be restrictions on uses of discount cards or rules applying to redemption. This company has an F rating due to 6 of 8 complaints going unanswered. This company is also associated with others and owned by the same person as GasGiveaway300.com, ContrarianPromotions.com, and RewardsPrinting.com all of whom also have F ratings.
7. Global Payday Loan – loan offers over the internet via various websites
228 of the 232 complaints filed against business have not been responded to, leading to a rating of an ‘F’. As of March 2009 the BBB verified that this company is not registered as a consumer lender with the Utah Division of Financial Institutions where they are based out of. On 6/14/10, the PA Dept of Banking took action, issuing a cease and desist order against Global Payday Loan, LLC aka FastCash Advance aka Payday Loan for making loans to Pennsylvania consumers in violation of the Consumer Discount Company Act and the Loan Interest and Protection Law.
BBB HOT TOPICS ARCHIVE
March & April 2009