The Better Business Bureau today announced the winners of the 2007 Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics. The businesses selected to receive this year's prestigious award are: Baker’s Waterproofing Company Inc., Eighty Four, PA and Allegheny West Magazine, Imperial, PA.
There were two companies who received runner-up distinction – Champion Window Siding Patio Rooms, Pittsburgh, PA and Metropolitan Window Company, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA.
The BBB, founded with a mission to see that all share in the opportunity of a fair and equitable marketplace, established this annual awards program to gain public recognition for local businesses that maintain a solid commitment to conducting their business practices in an ethical fashion.
"These companies were selected by an independent panel for their exceptional conduct in the marketplace," said Warren King, president Better Business Bureau. "Each winning company clearly demonstrates superior character on a daily basis and consistently exceeds marketplace standards for ethics in its relationships with customers, employees, suppliers, industry peers and the communities in which it does business.”
Award ceremonies will be held at the winner’s location on the following dates and are open to the media. Please call the BBB with any questions about the ceremony.
Metropolitan Window Company, Inc. Thursday, Nov 29 at 2 PM
Baker’s waterproofing Company, Inc. Friday Nov 30th at 3 PM
Allegheny West Magazine Wed Dec. 12 at Noon
Champion Window Siding Patio Rooms Friday Dec. 14 at 11 AM
About the Winners:
Baker’s Waterproofing Company Inc., Eighty Four, PA (Contractor) –
Baker’s Waterproofing was started in 1975 by the owner, Tim Baker. From the company’s inception, the primary goal was to offer honest, effective and economical solutions to wet basement problems. The company grew and prospered over the years.
In 1991 Baker’s became a dealer of Basement Systems products used for waterproofing basements. The innovative products and methods offered unique methods of problem solving and improvements continue to this day. In 1992 Baker’s also became a dealer with Grip-Tite. The Grip-Tite Wall Anchor System was a unique and effective solution to foundation walls that experienced inward movement (bowing) as a result of ground pressure against the wall.
“Baker’s Waterproofing is proud to receive the 2007 Torch Award. The Better Business Bureau Torch Award stands for the same core values that we have practiced for over 30 years’, states Tim Baker. “Not only is it our honor to be selected, but also we pledge to continue the high standard of integrity this award signifies.”
Allegheny West Magazine, Imperial, PA (Magazine Publisher)
Pat Jennette of North Fayette Township established Allegheny West Magazine in 1999 as a spin-off of her company, Jennette Communications Group. She launched the first edition serving the communities in the West Allegheny School District, tapping from her background as a public relations director for the school district of the same name and her previous experiences as a newspaper reporter and public relations consultant.
The three editions of Allegheny West Magazine cover 14 communities across Allegheny County’s western suburbs surrounding Pittsburgh International Airport, with a total print run of 50,000. The company adheres to its motto, “Good News Always, Mailed and Delivered Free, Every Time.”
“Doing the right thing for those we serve, and providing them with a positive news source, is what we are all about,” said Pat. “It is truly an honor to be selected a Torch Award Winner in Western Pennsylvania. We know that with this honor comes the responsibility of continuing good business and community practices in the years to come,” she added. “This recognition from the Better Business Bureau confirms our commitment to serve our area’s residents and businesses in an ethical and responsible manner.”
About the Runner-ups:
Champion Window Siding Patio Rooms
Champion Window Siding Patio Rooms is proud of our legacy that began in 1953 in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1992, Champion opened its first affiliate operation in Lexington, Kentucky. The success of this operation confirmed the merits of their business model. This business model, of providing a vertical distribution channel directly from our factory to our customers is unique in our industry. This allows us to provide an integrated brand experience that gives our customer one point of contact for all their questions and concerns.
In 1998, Champion began operations in Robinson Township. After 6 years of steady growth, they relocated to its present, beautiful showroom in Robinson Township on Campbells Run Road.
“As Division Manager of Champion Window of Pittsburgh, I am very proud the Better Business Bureau has named Champion Window a Runner Up of the Better Business Bureau 2007 Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics,” states Tim Delaney. “This award recognizes the hard work and commitment to customer satisfaction that the entire Champion organization practices each and every day. We are dedicated to the Champion philosophy of treating our customers honestly, ethically, and professionally. I would like to thank the Better Business Bureau Board and the judges of this year’s award for this prestigious honor.”
Metropolitan Window Company, Inc., Pittsburgh PA. (Contractor)
Metropolitan Window Company founded in March of 1978, by John Schmotzer is a premier replacement window and door specialist. For nearly 30 years, John and his wife, Maggie, who joined the company in 1990, along with a fine, dedicated staff provide the Pittsburgh and surrounding communities some of the most advanced quality, energy saving windows and doors in the industry.
They contribute their success to the employees of Metropolitan for their dedication, loyalty and the belief in the companies’ philosophy. That philosophy is to always provide the very best products, installation and service to their customers, but most of all to stand behind what you sell and install.
“I’m very honored to be selected the 2007 Runner Up for the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics. It’s very gratifying to be recognized and distinguished for our ethical business practices,” states John Schmotzer. “I’d like to thank each and everyone at Metropolitan Window Company for their dedication and daily implementation of the company’s’ philosophy of providing the best products, installation and service to our customers. We strive to be the very best and when there is ever a question; the answer is always, do what is right.”
About the BBB Torch Awards for Marketplace Ethics:
The panel of judges for the 2007 BBB Torch Awards was:
- Dr. Faith Bjalobok received her BA from Chatham College, a MA in Criminology from IUP, and a MA and Ph.D. in Philosophy from Duquesne. An adjunct professor of philosophy at Duquesne and a lecturer at WVU she also teaches medical ethics at Mercy, UPMC, and Washington Hospital.
- Mr. Donald E. Dukstein is retired from Option Insulating Company, Inc., an insulating company he founded in 1962, located in Pittsburgh. He has served on several local boards which included the President of the Remodelers Council at the Builders Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh and the Better Business Bureau of Western Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Virginia Gerde is an Assistant Professor at Duquesne University. She teaches business ethics, organizational ethics, and information ethics at the undergraduate and graduate level. She received her Ph.D. from Virginia Tech in Management and has published research in Business & Society, Business Strategy and Environment, and the Journal of Business Ethics, along with numerous presentations at International and National conferences.
- Mr. John P. Meegan is Executive Vice President and COO of Hefren Tillotson, Inc. Mr. Meegan oversees the daily operations of the firm, helps establish and monitor risk management, and assists in developing and implementing the firm’s strategic direction. He has over 20 years experience in the securities industry and prior to joining Hefren Tillotson has held senior level positions with both Regional and National securities firms. He is an active participant and member of various regulatory committees and assists FINRA (formerly the NASD) with the review and analysis of regulatory initiatives.
- Dr. Jim Weber is currently a Professor of Business Ethics and Management and Director of the Beard Center for Leadership in Ethics at Duquesne University. He develops ethics training seminars for business and community organizations and hosts forums for discussions of critical ethical issues in business. He is the co-author of 12th edition of the Business and Society: Stakeholders, Ethics, Public Policy, published by Irwin/McGraw-Hill, Inc.
The BBB Torch Award program is open to all for-profit companies (accredited and non-accredited businesses) who are located in the 28 county service area of Western Pennsylvania. Companies were evaluated against criteria that included commitment to and demonstration of ethical practices in the marketplace; high standards of behavior toward customers, employees, suppliers, shareholders and the communities in which they do business; long-term value of ethics policies to shareholders, customers and employees; and training and communications programs to assist employees in carrying out established ethics policies.
For more information on the 2007 BBB Torch Awards winners, visit the BBB website.
# # #
About the BBB
BBB is an unbiased organization that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. Businesses that earn BBB accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization’s high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB provides objective advice, free business BBB Reliability ReportsTM and charity BBB Wise Giving ReportsTM, and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust. To further promote trust, BBB also offers complaint and dispute resolution support for consumers and businesses when there is difference in viewpoints. The first BBB was founded in 1912. Today, 128 BBBs serve communities across the U.S. and Canada, evaluating and monitoring more than 3 million local and national businesses and charities. Please visit www.bbb.org for more information about the BBB.